Lila Rose the super star of pro-life apologetics speaking at the recent Values Voters Conference in Washington DC. I first heard this beautiful young woman speak at this same conference when she was only 19 years old and was impressed with her eloquence and powerful speaking ability. You must see this:
As I’ve stated in previous posts on this blog, science is nearly unanimous that life begins at conception. First of all, what do we mean by “conception.”? We normally understand “the union of sperm and ovum.” A term also used to describe that event is “fertilization.” Essentially, this is the single cell stage. What does science say about this?
- Professor Robert George of Princeton University, in his great book Embryo, A Defense of Human Life, quotes the authors of a well-known embryology textbook by Keith L. Moore and T.V.N. Persaud, in The Developing Human: “ Human development begins at fertilization when a male gamete or sperm unites with a female gamete or oocyte (ovum) to produce a single cell – a zygote.” Moore and Persaud write that the initial totipotent cell that is the result of fertilization “marked the beginning of each of us as a unique individual.”
- In the Fetal Development page of the Priests for Life web site the following sources are highlighted for the humanity of the zygote:
- Dr. Jerome Lejeune, “Father of Modern Genetics” and discoverer of the cause of Down’s Syndrome, stated, “To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place a new human has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion . . . it is plain experimental evidence.”
- Dr. Hymie Gordon, Chairman, Department of Genetics at Mayo Clinic, stated, “By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception.”
- Sir William Liley, a key pioneer of fetal therapy, wrote a famous article in 1972, The Foetus as a Personality, in which he shows us why we have moved away from the view of the fetus as an inert, unformed passenger awaiting arrival at the destination of life, and have seen that the fetus is a splendidly functioning human, full of vigor and very much in command of the pregnancy.
- The widely used medical textbook The Developing Human, Clinically Oriented Embryology, 6th Edition, Moore, Persaud, Saunders, 1998, states at page 2 that “The intricate processes by which a baby develops from a single cell are miraculous …. This cell [the zygote] results from the union of an oocyte [egg] and sperm. A zygote is the beginning of a new human being ….” At page 18 this theme is repeated: “Human development begins at fertilization [emphasis in original] ….”
- Scott Klusendorf, in his book Pro-Life 101 quotes Dr. Landrum Shettles, the first scientist to achieve conception in a test tube: ”conception not only confers life, it “defines” life.”
- The former Director of Planned Parenthood, Dr. Alan Guttmacher, was perplexed that anyone, much less a medical doctor would question this. ”This all seems so simple and evident that it is difficult to picture a time when it wasn’t part of the common knowledge” he wrote in his book Life In the Making.
- The following link lists numerous quotes from scientific books that are too numerous to list. I provide a link for you to look. Click here.
The other day I was watching the Hannity show where the host was conducting a Townhall-type of meeting with college students. Now, the minute you mention college students to me, I immediately think of such adjectives as clueless, naive, left-wing seminarian, etc. When Hannity asked these students how many of them believed in abortion on demand, half of them raised their hands. One young woman stated what I’ve heard so many times that I can only shake my head and repeat one of the aforementioned adjectives. This young woman said that “abortion is for each woman and her doctor to decide.” Now would anybody say that murdering your two year-old child should be up to you and your doctor to decide? Why not? But, this is the level of ignorance that is repeadted every day by non-thinkers such as college students and pro-abortion advocates.
What is the issue? Is an unborn not a human being? When does life begin? You’re life and my life did not begin the minute we came out of the womb; it started as a zygote, a single cell. This is not an opinion; science has verified this. Click here for details. Many of the “pro-choice” crowd will tell you that they follow only what science can prove, but when you provide the scientific proof, they change the subject; the idea that only science can provide proof is a falsehood in itself. This is referred to as scientism. I challenge any “pro-abortion” advocate to provide proof of their position. I’ve never been offered one. I’m still waiting.
As I was driving down the street in Southern California today, I saw a car with a bumper sticker that read: “I’m Catholic and pro-life.” I thought to myself, well, that is about the same as saying “I’m a member of society and I’m pro-life.” Being a Catholic and being pro-life have nothing to do with each other, unfortunately. The percentage of pro-life Catholics is about the same as for the general population; so it makes no sense to say that one is Catholic and pro-life, necessarily. Here is a study by a Rhode Island group on what Catholics believe about abortion. Click here.
Being a liberal, by definition, means that you are basically marching to your own tune, and only following church teaching when you agree with it. This is commonly referred to in Catholic circles as being a “cafeteria Catholic.” As I see it, you cannot be a liberal Catholic and be true to church teaching – it’s a contradiction. Think about it! The dictionary defines “liberal” as “open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.” How can you be true to the church and be a liberal?
The liberal Catholic will pick and choose what suits him/her. Let’s take abortion for an example. In my church, which is one of the largest Catholic churches in Southern California, about 60% of the “faithful” are pro-abortion, in my estimate – they would call themselves “pro-choice.” Now, since logic is important in this blog, let’s examine this. What makes you a Catholic? If you only follow 95% of church teaching are you a Catholic? If you only follow 60% of church teaching are you a Catholic? Now, let’s make a comparison. If I’m only faithful to my wife 95% of the time, am I faithful? What about if I’m only faithful only 60% of the time? Would I call myself a faithful husband? Then why do liberal Catholics call themselves Catholics if they do not follow 100% of church teaching? Being a “liberal Catholic” is a contradiction in logic.
Last week we attended a family reunion to welcome a cousin from the East Coast we had not seen in over 10 years. I attended with great reluctance because most of these family members (on my wife’s side) are committed hard-core leftists who have no problem insulting others who are not of the same political stripe. I do not discuss my politics with them, but they always feel free to discuss their twisted ideology in our company, not worrying whom they may offend.
Sure enough, after a few hours conversation one of these relatives pops off about how stupid a couple of Republican members of Congress are. Here we go again, I thought. One of our relatives, who is of my political stripe decided he was not having none of this insulting behavior: He challenged them on their rudeness in no uncertain terms. They backed off and claimed they had no idea they were offensive.
What was their offense? besides insulting a hand full of Republicans they disagree with, they were praising Wendy Davis, the Texas legislator who raised so much fuss about the law that Texas finally approved, regulating abortion clinics and banning partial birth abortions. To these folks, Wendy Davis is a hero. As I pointed out in my last post, Wendy Davis believes that a six-month old, perfectly healthy baby in the womb can be killed. Her Democratic colleagues agree heartily. They call this “women’s health.”
It never ceases to amaze me at the lack of logic on the left. How can a baby in the womb be killed and called “woman’s health”? This is akin to Hitler saying that his killing of six million Jews was not really killing but a “culling of the races.” Would a leftist who believes in abortion at any time agree that this is the same thing? Logic compels you to make the same comparison.
This is the insanity of the left. Believe what they believe or you’re an idiot, in their mind. The tragic part of this is that there are many people in the US who believe as these leftists described here believe. Let me get as far from this madding crowd as I can.
You’ve recently heard of the ruckus the Democrats of Texas have orchestrated against the passing of a new law restricting abortion after five-months pregnancy and regulating of abortion clinics. An abortion after five months of pregnancy is considered ”partial birth abortion.” Click here for a definition of partial birth abortion. The bill would additionally restrict abortion clinics to prevent the horrors of the Dr. Kermit Gosnell abortion clinic in Philadelphia.
The party of death, the Democratic Party, is for unfettered abortion at any time up to delivery. Remember, Dr. Gosnell was convicted of murder because he killed babies after birth. Had he killed the babies in the womb just before delivery he would still be a free man today. What does a five-month old baby look like? Click here is to see an image of a five-month old baby in the womb. Is this baby a clump of tissue or a human being? According to the party of death any baby can be dismembered in the womb up to delivery; they call this “women’s health.” Excuse me, but in logic, this is crazy. The supporters of the party of death were yelling “hail to Satan” in one of their demonstrations. Well, I think they’re right in hailing Satan, because this is exactly what abortion is. The party of death call themselves an advocate of the “little man” or of the poor, yet the most vulnerable of society, the baby in the womb is ripe for dismemberment and death.
We all marvel at how an entire nation like the Germany of World War II could support the murderous Adolph Hitler. Indeed, Hitler perpetuated the lie that the Jews were somehow “the problem.” His most ardent henchman, Joseph Goebbels, is famous for saying that if you repeat a lie many times people will eventually believe it as truth. There is a perfect correlation today on how many people, including religious Christians, Jews and others can believe that a perfectly healthy baby can be killed, as long as it is in the mother’s womb. Take the recent Dr. Gosnell murder trial where he killed babies after the baby came out of the womb. He routinely snipped the neck of the struggling baby on the table to kill it. This outraged most people and Dr. Gosnell was convicted of first degree murder.
A reporter recently asked Nancy Pelosi what is the difference between what Dr. Gosnell did and the killing of a baby in the womb? Pelosi opposes any law limiting partial birth abortion, even though she claims to be Catholic. She gave an angry convoluted answer, which did not address the question, but trotted out “a woman’s right to choose.” Watch this video of Pelosi responding to this question – it’s a classic. This is contrary to all logic, yet many people, including good friends of mine who attend the same church I do, cannot admit that there is no difference. They keep stating the nonsensical answer that women have “a right to do with their bodies what they like,” or words to that effect.
What has happened in our society, world-wide, is that the lie about abortion has been repeated so many times, and indeed everyday, that these people believe it as truth. There is no difference between what the Nazis did to six million Jews and what we do today to unborn babies in the womb; the Nazis killed innocent human beings and we kill innocent human beings in the womb. What supports this claim? Science has verified that human life begins at conception; logic tells you that the baby in the womb is the same baby in a mother’s loving arms, a few minutes after birth. Natural Law, the law written in all of our hearts, tells us that murder is wrong. You don’t need to be educated to know that murder is wrong. Should you have any questions about this, just go to anyone in the world and ask them if murder is OK. Another example of the law written in our heart: let’s say I come to your house and before I leave I take you nice new Nikon Camera that you spent $1,000 without your permission. Would the owner of the camera say that was wrong? We know, by instinct, what is right and wrong. Abortion is the killing of a human life and it is wrong all the time, under all circumstances.
In Bill O’Reilly’s new book, Keep it Pithy, he argues on page 105 that he is against the death penalty because it’s too lenient a punishment. On page 108 he states that he would not outlaw abortion, but would restrict it and encourage people to see its ghastly procedure as a human rights issue. What? Did I read this right? As this blog suggests by its title, logic is important here. How can abortion be ghastly but should not be outlawed? Is the death penalty a human rights issue or a utilitarian issue as O’Reilly suggests? Where is the logic?
I point this out here because this is the same argument made by many liberal Christians and Catholics. Indeed, many of my liberal friends at my church would agree with O’Reilly. Let me put it bluntly: this argument that abortion is ghastly but should not be outlawed is a contradiction in logic and pure nonsense. In a logic syllogism, if you have one false premise, the conclusion is also false. Click here to see a definition of a logic syllogism. If a human life begins at conception, as many scientists agree that it does and if an unborn fetus is a human being just like you and me, how can you say that it is OK to kill it at any stage of life? What does location have to do with it? Am I a human outside of the womb but not a human while in the womb? Before you and me were adults, we were adolescents, before adolescents, we were children, before children, infants, before infants we were called unborn babies, before unborn we were fetuses, before fetuses, a human embryo. At all of these stages we were the same person that you see in the mirror. Can we kill humans at early stages? According to our abortion law we can kill a human being up and until delivered and on a table and in some cases even a live baby on a table can be killed. Look at what President Obama did when he was an Illinois Senator. He voted against the born alive bill three times. Click here to see just what he did as an Illinois Senator.
Recently Dr. Kermit Gosnell was found guilty of killing unborn babies outside of the womb. Did it occur to you that the same baby, could have been killed by Dr. Gosnell just before delivery and it would have been totally legal? He could have dismembered a perfectly healthy baby inside the womb and not be in trouble. Where is the logic? What universe is the person from who says you’re a human upon delivery but just meat while in the womb and fully developed? Can a piece of meat become you and me just by plopping out of the womb? Where is the logic?
The current story about the horrific findings in Dr. Kermit Gosnell’s abortion clinic in Philadelphia shows the complete breakdown and wickedness of our culture. We have a culture that turns the other cheek on the killing of innocent unborn children ready for delivery and in Dr. Gosnell’s case, a child delivered alive. This defies any form of logic. The pro-abortion left wants to neither see or hear about the horrors of abortion. See no evil, hear no evil. If you dare to show them what abortion is they refuse to look at it. If you remind them of it they will insist that it is their right to kill babies in the womb; in a perverse way, they’re right, since our laws permit it. How is a right for anyone to kill an innocent unborn baby?
In Proverbs 6:16 there is a list of what God detests, among which is this one: hands that shed innocent blood. The taking of an innocent life, such as an unborn child is what I believe this refers to. For a culture to promote and turn a blind eye to abortion such as this culture does, is detestable to the Lord. The sad fact is that it’s not the un-churched or the non-religious only but many, many, people who call themselves, Catholic, Christian and other religions. Check out this short video from the Fox news special on Dr. Gosnell called “See no Evil.”
Last night I watched a debate between a liberal Democrat and Foxnews Analyst, Tamara Holder, and a pro-life activist, Lila Rose about the horrors of Dr. Gosnell’s abortion clinic in Philadelphia, currently on trial for murdering seven babies born alive. Lila Rose spoke about the horrors of a baby moving and screaming on a table and how Dr. Gosnell would snip the baby’s neck with scissors to kill it. All that Holder could respond was that she knows the legal aspect of abortion. Click here to watch the debate between Holder and Rose. Is anybody home? A great example of “see no evil, hear no evil.” This is a wicked generation. Consider the following:
- For the last several months the main stream media has been obsessed with the murder trial of Jodi Arias who killed her boyfriend. There are an average of 40 murders each day in America. Why does this one murder qualify for daily TV coverage while the murder of seven babies in Dr. Gosnell’s clinic does not make the main stream media at all?
- A professional basketball player comes out of the closet and the media is in a tizzy with happiness.
- A former professional athlete states that he believes the Bible in regards to homosexuality and he’s lambasted in the press.
- Our Supreme Court in 1973 ruled that a baby can be killed for any reason up to delivery and sometimes after delivery.
- According to the abortion law, a doctor and a patient have the last word on killing a perfectly healthy baby in the womb.
- Dr. Gosnell of Philadelphia kills babies even after they’re born alive and twisting on a table and the main stream media refuses to cover it. Only Foxnews has covered it.
- You can hand out condoms to schools kids but you cannot have a Bible study meet on school property.
- You need a parents’ permission to give a child an aspirin, but if the child wants an abortion no parental permission is necessary.
- You cannot post the 10 Commandments on public property.
- You cannot say the name of Jesus in school.
- Homosexual marriage is celebrated and those who believe in traditional marriage are ridiculed.
- Textbooks in California were required to be revised to include the accomplishments of homosexual people and to treat homosexuality as “an alternative lifestyle” comparable to heterosexual lifestyle.